Why train with Dumbbells?
High quality dumbbells can be used for a wide variety of exercises and training can be made easier or tougher depending on the weight and number of reps.
Dumbbells require more balance and control during exercises compared to barbells or machines – allowing for optimisation of kinaesthetic performance.
What are the main benefits of this type of training?
Dumbbell exercises can create both inter & intramuscular coordination, which leads to higher levels of muscle activation and due to their relatively small size that enables them to be held in both hands, dumbbells can be used to make a wide range of movement patterns, perfect for building up movement-specific strength.
- Ensure a higher level of ergonomics in the exercises, enabling a large number of individual exercises;
- Allow to progressively increase the weight in the loads;
- Offer superior exercise intensity as it’s possible to concentrate effort on each muscle.
- Ensure a better balance between different parts of the body, improving the integrity of the ligaments, tendons and joints;
- Favour fat loss and weight maintenance;
- Can be complemented with other weightlifting accessories like weight benches;
- Are adaptable to the requirements of the user and are easy to carry and store.
What to look for when buying Dumbbells?
Dumbbells are a relatively simple bodybuilding accessory, but you should take certain aspects into account when purchasing them like:Type of Dumbbell
There are 2 types of Dumbbells - adjustable and fixed. With fixed dumbbells the weight is already established and cannot be changed, while adjustable dumbbells provide a variety of weights so that intensity can vary during the exercise.Shape
The shape of the Dumbbell can be hexagonal, square, triangular or round.Weight
Weight is a determining factor when deciding to get a Dumbbell. Depending on the brand and type, weights can vary between 0.5 and 50 kg.Material
Dumbbells can be made of a variety of materials, which can be a determining factor of the price of the accessory. The grip is made of steel while the coating can be vinyl, foam, rubber, chromed steel, or urethane.
As well as being an excellent fitness tool, Dumbbells are tough, durable and safe (with proper technique!)